Monday, October 5, 2009

White Witch Black Curse Review


White Witch Black Curse is book 7 in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. While these books feature a witch as the main character, her best friend and work partner is a vampire, and so was her lover - so I think this book series can still fit in with this blog. Yes it was released at the end of February this year, but with my absence, I am still playing catch up.

Rachel Morgan; witch, paranormal crime solver, and friend of a living vampire and pixie family is going through a lot of personal trials in this book. She is trying to remember the death of a loved one in hopes of finding the murderer responsible, the witch community is turning away from her because of her demon marks, and she is still struggling with her relationship with her vampire friend Ivy. To make matters worse, a friend has been almost killed and she must take down the creature who hurt him - which is a lot harder than some people realize. Did I mention the demon marks? Plus she has "demon school" once a week with a nasty demon she had to make a bargain with to save some one's life. Things just get more complicated for Rachel; and emotional.

Not to spoil it for anyone, but after a certain death in the books I did not want to continue on. Semi-reluctantly picking up this book, I soon was engrossed with Harrison's plot and writing and could not put it down. For one, the books are hilarious. I laughed out loud several times, earning weird looks from my husband. Secondly, Harrison really knows how to produce emotion in her readers. I laughed, cried, was angry, sad, frustrated, and annoyed. Several times I wanted to have a frustrating crying tantrum for Rachel. So many things go wrong I felt so bad for her!

On a happy note (the only happy note?) a ghost from her past shows up - which leaves her hopeful for the future.

I think The Hollows Series are a great Halloween read - the books incorporate pagan elements, as well as vampires, pixies, witches, weres, and other creatures that go bump in the night (and many that go bump in the day). I have renewed interest in the series and I look forward to the next book.



Black Magic Sanction - Book 8, will be released in February 2010.

No comments: