Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life and Stuff

This weekend I am going to work at a retreat my job is putting on… I should have fun but I am not really looking forward to being gone all weekend. At least I get Wednesday thru Friday off for my reschedule days. I’ve been stressing over the whole “what do I want to be when I grow up” question. I’m trying to figure out what grad schools I would like to go to, what programs I want to enter, and how I can do it all by staying local, working, and being married. Mostly I am concerned about what program to enter into.

Around here, at CSU or UC the options I would be interested in would be Health Psychology, Cognitive Psych, Quantitative Psych, or Forensic/behavioral psych or a masters in marriage and family counseling. I don’t think I want to do therapy anymore, research would be cool, but I don’t want to teach. Forensic and behavioral Psych joint Doctorate would be pretty interesting. Who knows.

I am looking forward to going back to get my Master and/or Ph.D, but I’m not too thrilled about the cost, the years it will take, and the overall pain in the ass it can be. There are some really interesting jobs in Psych with a Ph.D, but they are mostly available in the big cities… not exactly where I am at, and I don’t really want to teach or do therapy, but we’ll see. I’m just hoping I can find something I truly love to do and make at least a living wage on it. I don’t have to make fantastic money, but something to make a living and worth 8+ years of college would be great.

But enough about my personal life. I am still reading Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K Hamilton. It is taking me forever; partly because I have been super busy, partly because it is a lot hard to get through than her other works. This was the first Anita Blake book I read and I am surprised I enjoyed it so much I wanted to read the rest of the books.

True Blood premiers in just a little over a week! My friends and I are planning on doing a little party (check out the recipes here and here). It’s been fun getting a few of my friends interested in the same books that I have been reading.

My good friend Cassie (also a vampire book lover) turned me on to Dance of the Vampires. I would love to see the musical, but that probably won’t happen. I am waiting to get the movie in the mail. Until then, here is an interesting clip.

No comments: