Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lost Boys: The Tribe


I finally had the opportunity to watch Lost Boys: The Tribe. Suprisingly, it has been out of stock at Blockbuster everytime I go in. Last night I visited my brother and we watched in "On Demand).

I loved the orignal Lost Boys. It's a movie I think everyone should see at least once (also Cry Baby, Amelie, Mirror Mask, and Pi). I wasn't expecting the straight to DVD sequal to even compare with the original.

Chris and Nichole are brother and sister; their parents have been dead for a couple of years and they move to Luna Bay where their aunt lives, hoping they would catch a break. Chris used to be a professional surfer until he had some sort of break down and was banned. After they move into a crappy apartment Chris meets one of his idols, Shane Powers (Angus Sutherland). Shane used to be a surfer too, and throws a huge party at his house.


Shane and another surfer. and a couple other guys, are vampires. Nichole becomes Shane's love interest and he convinces her to have a drink.... which is vampire blood, which turns her into a "half-vampire" until she takes the life of another human. Chris enlists Edgar Frog (Corey Feldman) as vampire hunter to help him get his sister back.

The movie was actually better than I expected it to be. I was a little worried at the start of it, but I wasn't too disappointed when it ended. There is some unnecessary gore and sex, which contributes to the feel of the B-Movie vibe. The movie could have sustained itself without the gore and the boobs, which made the film look a little cheaper.

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't much humor. The first Lost Boys was much more funny. The vampire faces also changed towards the end of the movie. Also, one really annoying thing was that Corey Feldman was trying on his "batman" voice - where he talks deeper than he actually does in real life. I wanted to slap Christian Bale, and I want to slap Corey Feldman too. I also felt that maybe Chris should join "the tribe." SPOILER: the movie really doesn't show the evilness of becoming a vampire. The kids have nothing left but each other and becoming a vampire actually looks like a better alternative... I was kind of hoping I would be thrown for a loop and the siblings would join the band of vamps. There was no suprise in the film whatsoever. Well there's a little suprise at the end.


I thought the guy who crushes on Nichole was quite adorable though. I don't remember his name and I can't find his credits anywhere. Overall, I thought it was a decent sequal. It wasn't fantastic, but it was probably one of the best straight-to-DVD movies out there. Here are some trailors for the original and the sequal:




No comments: